10 Healthy Eating Facts To Create Healthy Eating Habits
These 10 healthy eating facts will help you establish healthy eating habits to help you lose weight and achieve lasting good health.
It is well known that your diet affects your health. So how can you achieve optimal health through a nutritious diet? Healthy eating
should not be about losing weight or being skinny, but is about enjoying your food and obtaining the most out of each meal.
10 Healthy Eating Tips
Good health cannot be achieved overnight. It is therefore essential to establish healthy eating habits. Just follow these healthy eating facts
- Balance your foods to avoid getting too much of any nutrient. Try to eat foods from all food groups in the healthy
eating pyramid, including low glycemic load carbohydrates, proteins,
and healthy fats as well as good sources of vitamins and minerals.
In the beginning you may not be aware of what nutrients are found in what foods. As a rule of thumb, the more colors you have on your plate, the more vitamins and minerals
you are likely to obtain. Ensure you balance your intake for one day with foods containing different nutrients the next day. Do not completely eliminate any foods from your diet
unless you are allergic to them.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and wholegrains. These are all an excellent source of fiber, healthy sugars,
vitamins and minerals. Fiber is useful in keeping your cholesterol levels low and cleaning out the intestinal tract. Vitamins and minerals are required by the most basic of
metabolic processes in the body.
- Moderate your portions. If you do need it, don't eat it. Most people eat larger portions than required. However, if you
choose highly nutritious foods you will find that you are satisfied with smaller portions. Chew your food properly and enjoy the taste of the bite before you swallow it.
- Avoid eating fast foods. They are loaded with salt, sugar and bad fats that have no nutritional value. While they may put an end to your hunger, they are of no benefit to your body.
- Choose low fat foods. The average diet contains more fat than our body requires. Opting for low fat options when available will help balance the foods that are higher in fats.
- Eat at regular intervals. Apart from making healthy choices, the time of your meals is very important. Eating at regular intervals ensures that your blood glucose does not drop
to unhealthy levels. Individuals that allow their blood glucose levels to fluctuate to a great extent tend to age more quickly and develop diabetes easily. Furthermore, it will be more
difficult to make healthy food choices when you are very hungry.
- Drink plenty of water. Ensure you are drinking 6- 8 glasses of water daily.
- Make a weekly menu before you do your grocery shopping. Planning a healthy meal can take some time. Prepare a weekly menu
and include healthy foods that are readily available at your local store.
- Keep a food diary. This way you can look back and review your daily diet and make any necessary changes. You can download a free food diary as part of
the Weight Loss Starter Pack on this website.
- Learn about food labels and the ingredients in pre-packaged foods. Read the label when grocery shopping.
Change your life for the better today, by following these healthy eating facts.
Return to Healthy Eating Guidelines from Healthy Eating Facts
Return to Healthy Eating
To Top of Page