10 Healthy Eating Facts To Help You Create Healthy Eating Habits
These 10 healthy eating facts can help you establish healthy eating habits. You can lose weight and achieve lasting good health by adopting these principles. Your diet affects your health – this is well-known. So how can you achieve optimal health through a nutritious diet? Healthy eating should not be about losing weight or being skinny, but is about enjoying your food and obtaining the most out of each meal. You can’t achieve good health overnight. It is therefore essential to establish healthy eating habits. Just follow these healthy eating facts listed below.
10 Healthy Eating Tips
- Balance your foods to avoid getting too much of any nutrient. Try to eat foods from all food groups in the healthy eating pyramid, including low glycemic load carbohydrates, proteins, and healthy fats as well as good sources of vitamins and minerals. In the beginning you may not be aware of what nutrients are found in what foods. As a rule of thumb, the more colours you have on your plate, the more vitamins and minerals you are likely to obtain. Balance your intake for one day with foods containing different nutrients the next day. Do not completely eliminate any foods from your diet unless you are allergic to them.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and wholegrains. These are all an excellent source of fibre, healthy sugars, vitamins and minerals. Fibre is useful in keeping your cholesterol levels low and cleaning out the intestinal tract. Vitamins and minerals are required by the most basic of metabolic processes in the body.
- Moderate your portions. If you don’t need it, don’t eat it. Most people eat larger portions than required. However, if you choose highly nutritious foods you will find that you are satisfied with smaller portions. Chew your food properly and enjoy the taste of the bite before you swallow it.
- Avoid eating fast foods. These are loaded with salt, sugar and bad fats that have no nutritional value. While they may put an end to your hunger, they are of no benefit to your body.
- Choose low fat foods. The average diet contains more fat than our body requires. Opting for low fat or even no-fat options when available will help balance the foods that are higher in fats.
- Eat at regular intervals. Timing of your meals is as important as making healthy choices. Eat at regular intervals so that your blood glucose does not drop to unhealthy levels. You are at higher risk of diabetes if you allow your blood glucose levels to constantly fluctuate. Furthermore, it will be more difficult to make healthy food choices when you are very hungry.
- Drink water. Keep yourself hydrated with 6-8 glasses of water a day.
- Make a weekly menu before you do your grocery shopping. Planning a healthy meal can take some time. Prepare a weekly menu and include healthy foods that are readily available at your local store.
- Keep a food diary when you start your new lifestyle. In this way you can look back and review your daily diet and make any necessary changes. Once you have settled into a routine, you won’t need to do this any longer.
- Learn about food labels. Read the label when grocery shopping and become familiar with the ingredients in pre-packaged foods. In this way, your can avoid products loaded with fats and sugars.
Change your life for the better today, by following these healthy eating facts.