10 Ways To Quit Smoking
10 ways to quit smoking. Feel healthier, live longer. Its not a big secret that by quitting smoking, you will immediately begin to reap the benefits of a healthier lifestyle. As hard as it may be to give it up, you can kick this habit.
There is no one best way to quit smoking; the most effective method varies for each individual depending upon various factors such as their willpower and lifestyle. In addition to many supportive therapies, a wide range of smoking cessation products is now widely available. Before you try any of these options, you must want to quit. Here are 10 ways to quit smoking:
Different Ways To Quit Smoking
- Cold Turkey: Going cold turkey means stopping smoking completely without any replacement. You need strong willpower to go cold turkey. It has a low success rate and individuals may experience high withdrawal symptoms.
- Reducing gradually: Cut back the number of cigarettes you smoke each day. Smoke only the ones that you really get a craving for.
- Nicotine Replacement Therapy (NRT) in the form of patches, gums, lozenges, nasal spray or inhaler is a common and successful option to reduce cravings since it maintains nicotine levels in the blood.
- Zyban is a prescription medication that comes in a pill form. It is not a form of nicotine replacement but works on the brain to reduce cravings. Zyban works by reducing withdrawal symptoms particularly irritability, frustration, anger, anxiety or difficulty concentrating. The risk of Zyban is that is has side effects such as dry mouth, difficulty sleeping and a risk of seizures.
- Chantix is also a prescription medication that is used as a smoking cessation aid. It works on the brain by reducing cravings.
- Hypnosis and other relaxation techniques help cope with stress that you would have otherwise dealt with by smoking.
- Acupuncture balances the energy within your body, with treatments focusing on jitters, cravings, irritability and restlessness. Acupuncture treatments also help with relaxation and detofixication.
- Counselling through support groups should be considered for anyone trying to quit, with or without smoking cessation aids. Counselling will increase your will power.
- Behaviour therapy concentrates on the behaviours involved in smoking and teaches you new coping skills and assists you in breaking the habits associated with your individual smoking habits.
- Motivational therapy including self help books provide a useful support tool when you are trying to quit.
Nicotine Replacement Therapy
In addition to these 10 ways to quit smoking, try to follow a healthy lifestyle by eating a balanced diet, sleeping well, drinking plenty of water and exercising. Try deep breathing exercises and meditation and redirect your mind. Keep your hands and fingers busy and try to involve someone else for further support.